It's a crime to abuse a child, an older person, or an adult who depends on others for care.
- If the situation is life-threatening, call 911 right away.
2. Child abuse
The California Department of Social Services tracked 467,696 child abuse reports in 2006. Report abuse now.
3. Elder and dependent adult abuse
110,000 reports of abuse were filed in California in a single year (July 2006 through June 2007). Report abuse now.
- Find out more about elder abuse
- Are you concerned, but you live in a different community? Then call the local police, sheriff, or social service agency in the person's home area. Someone in that area can conduct a well-being check or welfare check.
For adults at home: If the older person or the dependent adult lives in the community (not a care facility), you can:
For adults in facilities: If the older person or the dependent adult lives in a nursing facility or a residential care facility, you can:
4. Hotlines and Websites for Help to Address Abuse